08 November 2013

23, Going on 24

First, the big news: we're moving! We started to realize that our cute downtown apartment might not be all that functional with the addition of an infant (think tons of stairs, on-street parking, and a kitchen on the top floor). We started casually and reluctantly looking for a place a few weeks ago and ended up finding the perfect spot. Selling points: a huge backyard, a driveway, no stairs, it's bright, the kitchen/living room are connected and open-concept, it's totally renovated, and we'll be paying only a little more per month. So, come November 30, we'll be packing up a truck (hopefully with a lot of help!) and moving into our new home.

I've noticed some big changes lately. Since I first realized I was feeling kicks, the baby has been kicking all.the.time! She seems to be most active in the morning and in the evening when I'm relaxing. Alas, she has discovered my bladder and seems to enjoy kicking it with all of her one-pound might (which is a lot more than I thought possible for such a tiny shrimp!) She also put up a stink a few mornings ago when I chose a sleep position she didn't like. She went crazy, kicking and flailing all over the place!

I feel pretty good most of the time, other than being really tired. My hips are my only real complaint at this point; most nights, I wake up in agonizing pain. Not even a mountain of pillows and a stack of folded-up blankets has helped, so Danny and I will be investing in a memory foam topper to soften our old, hard, ridgy bed (a new mattress is way out of our budget!) Moving in general has become more of an effort. My waddle has certainly arrived, and I find myself taking a lot more time getting out of bed, off the couch, out of the car, etc. Thankfully, Danny helps me a lot of the time (after pausing to laugh at me).

Pregnancy, with all of its weird side effects and ups and downs and fears and joys, is really a beautiful thing, and it can make your relationship with your partner all the more sweet. I am thankful every day that I've been blessed with such a kind, supportive hubby, who has taken joy in all of the changes along with me. I'd like to point out that he already did the bulk of the housework before, and he has even cooked for me when I've been too tired or sick to do so, or worked our shared part-time job on his own on the days I just can't do it.

I'm still pretty much all belly, but I felt better today after reading an article that explained first-time moms are more likely to have a smaller belly and, if you've got a really long torso like I do, you just have more room for the baby to grow upward, so your uterus doesn't need to poke out as much. As for my weight, I don't seem to have gained any on my body (despite effort!), but my belly seems to be happily rounding out more every day, so I think both baby and I are doing a-okay. I see the doctor again on the 19th, and I don't anticipate any news to the contrary. I think I just have a hungry, growing baby...maybe she has a "fat tooth" like mama! (Instead of a sweet tooth). Funny: my ribs seem to have completely disappeared this week!

And I close with this shot from last Saturday, first day of week 23:

I can still see my feet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Two rules: be respectful, and do not post personal information.